Permission Numbers allow a student to register for a class when they would otherwise face a registration barrier (e.g., a particular course requires instructor approval for a student to register).
Permission Numbers for Undergraduate Students
Permission numbers for undergraduate students are distributed by the Department of Psychology’s Undergraduate Advising. Email them at email@example.com to request a permission number. Approval from the instructor must be included with the request.
PSY 4993/5993 Directed Research - A contract must be submitted to Undergraduate Advising before a student is allowed to enroll. The department’s PSY 4993/5993: Directed Research page contains instructions.
- Adding seats to your class capacity rather than admitting extras via permission numbers gives all students an equal opportunity for admission to the class.
- Enrollment capacity may be increased at your request but may be subject to room availability/capacity and other factors.
- If you are interested in this, contact the Associate Director of Curriculum & Instruction regarding any impact on TA workload.
- Students will often present a crisis situation to an individual instructor when other solutions are readily available. (Academic and financial holds are common.) Department of Psychology Undergraduate Advising has access to student records and may assist them with making alternate arrangements that enable them to progress for timely degree completion. Please refer students to Advising for assistance.
- The best advice for students is to share:
- "We do not over-enroll courses in Psychology. Please continue to check online for an open seat. If a seat opens when one student drops, another student has the opportunity to add the class via online registration. Consult with Department of Psychology Undergraduate Advising regarding concerns with timely graduation and course planning (firstname.lastname@example.org)."
- Faculty/instructors may wish to set up a standard reply for student requests.
Permission Numbers for Graduate Students
Permission numbers for graduate students are distributed by the Department of Psychology staff members listed below. Email them to request a permission number. Approval from the instructor and the reason a permission number is needed must be included with the request.