Consult the Graduate Student Handbook and your area handbook for detailed guidance on exam formats, timelines, and expectations.
Thesis Review & Final Exam Forms
- Committee Submission Workflow - Review examination committee policies and declare or update the examination committee. Submit the semester before you plan to defend when possible.
- Reviewer’s Report Form (Plan A MA only) - initiate the electronic workflow when you distribute your dissertation manuscript to your committee. You will have the option to attach an electronic copy of your dissertation if desired. Plan to initiate this workflow about three weeks before the defense and final oral exam when possible, but at least one week in advance.
- Final Examination Form - initiate this form for your committee chair at least one day before the final oral exam will be held.
- Consider using Doodle or a similar scheduling tool to identify times in common with your committee members for the oral final exam.
- At least two weeks before your oral exam, contact your Area Support Person and tell them:
- The date and time of your MA oral defense
- The names and emails of your committee members
- The name of the faculty member who is serving as the chair of your committee
- The modality of your defense (in-person, hybrid, or remote)
- Note: MA exams are closed-door with the student and committee members only. GSSP does not require formal scheduling with their office.
- Thesis review (Plan A only): All committee members designated as reviewers must read your dissertation and certify that it is ready for oral defense. This is communicated by the Reviewers’ Report Form. You will receive email notifications communicating the results.
- Final Exam Results: Committee chairs communicate oral exam results verbally at the end of the exam and report the results using the electronic final exam form you released to your chair before the exam (see forms, above). You will receive confirmation emails from GSSP when the results form has been received and processed.
- For the Plan A master’s, a passing result clears you to move forward with final edits, the thesis deposit process, and the related forms.
Director of Graduate Studies (DGS)
N571 EltH | 625-6863
Associate Director of Graduate Studies (ADGS)
S243 EltH | 626-3483
Graduate Program Support & Event Specialist
S244 EltH | TBD
Curriculum and Graduate Services Specialist
S258 EltH | 624-5002