Canvas (canvas.umn.edu) is the UMN Learning Management System (LMS), an online platform used by instructors to provide learning materials and activities that may supplement a face-to-face or blended course, or deliver a fully online experience. Additional learning tools can be added to Canvas to extend the core functionality and features of the system.
Students use Canvas to access course material, submit assignments, take quizzes, view grades, and interact with classmates and instructors through online discussions and direct messaging.
Academic Canvas course sites (based on PeopleSoft course and enrollment information) are automatically created several month before a semester starts. Instructors will see their course sites in MyU (myu.umn.edu) in the Teaching tab.
- What is cross-listing in Canvas and how do I do that as an instructor?
- If you have multiple sections to cross-list, contact Silke Moeller (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- How do I use colors and icons in the Canvas Gradebook?
- How to use Speedgrader?
- How can I give Feedback to Students?
- Leaving comments for students in the Gradebook
- Adding comments for students in Speedgrader
- Quickly send a message to students directly from the gradebook
- creates individual messages to students who have not yet submitted, scored above or below a specific grade, or haven’t been graded
- Canvas Assignment Rubrics
- Understanding Canvas Classic Quizzes vs. New Quizzes
- Note: In 2024, Classic Quizzes “retire” and with be transferred to New Quizzes.
- How to request a non-academic Canvas site?
- Understanding Roles Types in Canvas