The Department of Psychology, the College of Liberal Arts, and the Graduate School all provide services to help you identify meaningful career paths that align with your goals, identify how to prepare for your preferred career path(s), and support you through the application and placement process.
Career Exploration & Preparation
Your PhD in Psychology will support a wide range of career paths, especially if you plan ahead.
- Beyond the Professoriate: An e-learning platform run by PhDs who want to empower graduate students and postdocs to launch meaningful careers.
- ImaginePhD: An online career exploration and planning tool for PhD students in the humanities and social sciences.
- Individual Development Plan (IDP): A well-crafted IDP serves both as a planning and a communications tool, so you can identify research and career goals, and communicate them to mentors, advisors, and future employers.
- Preparing Future Faculty (PFF) Program: Assists graduate students in developing teaching skills and exploring the faculty role at the college or university level.
Job Searches - Academic
- Academic & Career Development Workshops from the Graduate School
- CLA Graduate Career Services: Work with a consultant specializing in supporting your academic job search.
- E-Courses from the Graduate School
- UMN Career Services - Resources for Graduate Students
Job Searches - Industry, Non-Profit, and Other Sectors
- CLA Graduate Career Services: Work with a consultant specializing in supporting your job search in a range of sectors.
- Guide to hiring practices in different job sectors from CLA
- Self-Paced Non-Academic Career Workshop on Canvas
Director of Graduate Studies (DGS)
Associate Director of Graduate Studies (ADGS)
S243 EltH - 626-3483
Curriculum and Graduate Services Specialist
S258 EltH | 624-5002