Graduate Student Research and Travel Awards are administered by the Department of Psychology and funded by both the department and the College of Liberal Arts. Funds are awarded to students in good standing for psychology research expenses (research award), or for first author travel expenses incurred from presenting at a psychology conference or meeting (travel award). Students are eligible for one research or travel award per fiscal year (July 1 - June 30). Funds are limited each year, and awards are based on the availability of funds at the time of application. The current award amount is $600.
For applicants enrolled in tuition-bearing courses, award funds are credited to student accounts. Balances due on student accounts will be deducted from the award, financial aid may be adjusted as a result of the award, and the award may be subject to taxable income. For applicants not enrolled in tuition-bearing courses (e.g., enrolled in GRAD 999), award funds are paid out in the form of reimbursement.
Before students submit an application, they should be aware of how they will receive their funds and consider any barriers to the use of those funds. For example, in the case of research awards being used for subject payments, applicants should make a plan for how they will pay subjects. If a faculty or staff member's PCard will be used to make the payments, applicants may ask for an exception to the award payout process. They may request a chartstring for the faculty or staff member to use when reconciling their PCard expenses. Applicants should include this request on the budget page of their application.
Notes About Travel Award:
- The deadline to submit an application to Heidi Wolff is no later than 2 weeks prior to the first date of travel. Applications submitted after the deadline will not be accepted. Early application submissions are encouraged, as soon as presentation acceptance is received from the conference.
- A student must be first author on a presentation in order to be eligible for the award.
- A student must apply for a single conference; the award may not be split between two conferences. If a student wishes to change the specific conference the award is applied to after an award notice has been emailed to them, they must first send an email to Heidi Wolff declining the original award. The student must then submit a complete application for the new conference. If the new application meets all qualifications for approval, a new award notice will be sent to the student.
Notes About Research Award:
- The award may be used for participant payments, software and other study materials, and trainings or workshops needed to successfully complete the proposed project.
- The award cannot be used to attend a training, workshop, or conference that is not directly connected to a proposed project.
TEMPORARY EXCEPTION DUE TO COVID-19: Students are eligible for more than one travel award in FY21 (7/1/20 - 6/30/21) for first author expenses incurred from presenting at psychology conferences or meetings held online (e.g., registration fees). The combined funds for the conferences must not exceed $600. Students should submit a separate application for each conference and list the expenses on the budget page of the application. The applications can be submitted separate from one another at separate times. The deadline for each application is no later than 2 weeks prior to the first date of the conference.